Whether you're returning to this site or here for the first time, thank you for your support! For this week's recipe, I'll be doing pizza. Honestly, I could do a post every week about a version of pizza on here and be happy. Because that automatically insinuates that I'm testing pizza continuously and that's really what the meaning of life is, right?
In this version, I'm using naan as a base. Mostly because I had it leftover and after doing a breakfast flat bread with these mini versions, I instantly thought of a white flatbread/pizza that would be delicious. And man was I right!! This pizza is crispy on the outside edges with just the right of bite in the center of the crust. There's no tomato sauce, but instead boasts a creamy, garlicky base made out of...wait for it, CAULIFLOWER!!! I love this cream sauce because you can determine what you want it to be. A sauce for pasta, a topping on meat or other vegetables, or the base of a delicious and dangerously cheesy dip! But that last one is another post all together! I also love it because it's a sauce that doesn't require flour for thickening and you can add cheese or not, or substitute a non-dairy milk for a completely vegan version! It's amazing!
The other elements that make this pizza so tasty: juicy shrimp with mediterranean flavors of oregano and sumac, perfect grape tomatoes that just get better when roasted in the oven, bell peppers and amazing, caramelized onions. I mean really, one bite of this pizza and you're transported to the Mediterranean Sea, standing in the cool breeze, drinking some wine and living the life. At least that's what happened to me!! The best part of this meal: it's full of vitamin C, vitamin B6 and protein. Serve along side a greek salad for a completely guiltless meal.
For those of you who are unfamiliar, sumac is a spice that gives food a citrusy/lemony flavor but it is unique to the spice. You cannot recreate the flavor using lemons or lemon peel, either. You can find sumac at many spice retailers if you want to add it to your food. If you cannot find it, I would suggest subbing in a little ground dried lemon peel for a citrusy boost!
Also, feel free to make this on a regular pizza crust, or even try it with my socca pizza crust or a cauliflower crust. The possibilities are endless.
What are your favorite pizza toppings? Let me know in the comments!
Naan Pizzas with Shrimp, Feta and Peppers
- Author: Monique Manning
- Servings: 2
- Nutrition: 317 calories, 19.23g protein, 10.73g fat, 23.9g net carbs
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup hot water or broth
- 2 mini naan bread
- 4 oz shrimp, peeled, cleaned and deveined.
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dill weed
- 1/4 tsp sumac
- 2 mini bell peppers, sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup caramelized shallots, sliced
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp feta
- 1 tbsp parmesan, grated (optional)
Cauliflower Cream Base:
- In a pot, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook until softened. In a separate pot, warm your milk, but do not boil.
- While cauliflower and milk are on, heat butter or olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook until browned, being sure not to burn.
- In a blender or good processor, add in cauliflower, spices, milk and garlic and puree until smooth. Use water/broth to thin out to desired consistency.
- If desired, add in 1 tbsp parmesan for a cheesy base flavor.
- In a small bowl, add 1 cup of water and 1/2 tsp of baking powder and mix well. Add shrimp and soak for 15 mins. Remove shrimp from mixture and pat completely dry. Season shrimp with spices on both sides.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat, making sure the grill "grates" are lightly oiled.
- When you can barely hold your hand over the heat of the pan, add shrimp and cook on each side for 1-2 mins. You want them to be pink, but not completely done because you will be putting in the oven.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and place baking rack in center of oven. Fit parchment paper or a silpat mat to a baking sheet and set aside.
- Place the two naan pieces on the baking sheet. To the naan, add cauliflower cream base for your white pizza. Dollop in the middle of the bread and spread out with the back of a spoon to get even coverage.
- Next, add the shallots and peppers to your base, leaving enough space for the shrimp.
- Add the shrimp and tomatoes to the pizza next and sprinkle completed pizza with feta cheese.
- Bake pizzas for 5-7 mins and remove from oven.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and red pepper flakes and serve hot.